Tuesday, March 29, 2011

So what's the story?

So what's the story???  We'll, thats a great question.  Let me try to answer it over the corse of the next year. 

First, let me catch you up to date on why i've decided to write this.  So here goes...

I'm in my mid 30's with a wife and two little girls, Q is 4 next month and Ariana is 3 in two months.  With the writing all over the wall, I left the banking industry in March 08, just before the crap hit the fan.  Tried to do some financial advising, but what was there to advise when the banking execs are running for the hills and people would rather stuff their mattreses with thier money! 

I took on some endevors very much outside my scope.  Construction and Transportation.  Both of these were derived from certain someones saying something to the effect of " hey, start a business for this and i'll make sure you get lot's of business.  Theirs lots of money to be made!"  Regardless, if I knew then what I know now.... well, you know how that ends.

As of a few months ago, my heart wasn't in these businesses.  I have a BBA / MBA in Finance, and I cosider myself to be a smart guy, but making money has not come around as fast I had anticipated.  You could say that I have always set the bar high for myself.  Once I feel that I have learned what I needed and there is nothing new my mind can absorb, I get bored and my attention is gone in a blink of an eye. 

I suppose that this is the reason its come to this.  I've decided to take on Poker.  The art of it, the science, the risk, the rewards.  All of this competitiveness and drive has been bottled up and is now ready to explode.  More importantly, i've learned that channeling this inner force is ultimately the best way to reach the prize.  Without it, it would be a crash derby with no safety gear and plenty-o-gas!

So here it is...   In the beginning of this year, I decided that I would actually "learn" poker.  Not just to continue to play with my friends... but to crush them.  To level anyone who stands in my way of becoming a "winning poker player".  To dominate to a new level never before seen.  

Ok, that last part is a bit much.  But why not?  Why not me?  All you hear about these days is of the young stars of online poker that are 17 to 21 year olds and already multi-millionaires!!!  How the old guard is in there mid twenties and up.

Well, I disagree.   Yes young guns have almost no responsibility, live with mommy and daddy, have no bills, go to college on the parents dime or even scholarships.    What the yguns are lacking is life experience.  You see, they way I look at it, once you have responsibilities like a house, kids, car note, etc., you either become a conformist and worry about getting your paycheck every two weeks, or you are on the other side that takes a stand and says F%(K IT.  I'm betting on me and on my family! 

Not to long ago I went to see the musical, IN THE HEIGHTS.  There is a scene where the father that immigrated to the US was feeling like a failure.  Sometimes I feel this way too.   But the line that brings it home goes like this,

"  I will not be the reason that my family can't succeed.  I will do what it takes, they'll have everything they need.  Or all my work, all my life, everything i've sacrificed will have been useless."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCsySC2iL-k

The Challenge:  Make $1MM by the end of the 2012 World Series of Poker. 
The time frame:  1 year from the end of the 2011 WSOP
The Bankroll:   $0

I'm giving myself this time to study and educate myself as much as possible.  All the while, balancing my wonderful wife, beautiful children, work, family, friends, and money. 

The odds are certainly stacked against me.  I'm a huge underdog, but that's whom everybody roots for... right?   

Welcome to my life and thanks for joining me on this journey.

-AlexEagleR

No comments:

Post a Comment